Sunday, February 03, 2008

It rained!

Today it rained - not enough - but some. The long hot dry summer is nice and reminiscent of the childhood summers I fondly remember and yet, when your water tank is rapidly emptying, the grass is turning brown and you are starting to wonder what the sheep are going to eat a bit of rain is like "mana from heaven". The good news is that according to the weather forecast we only have about a week left of hot dry and then they are predicting summer will become "soggy".

A couple of weeks ago we made the momentous decision to move house so we are in the process of performing all the long neglected jobs around the house to ready it for the market. This includes sorting rooms so we can empty them to carpet them. Today I completed sorting the wardrobe in "the office". It obviously must be a very damp office because my wedding dress is about 4 inches short of doing up now, it must've shrunk. Actually it's going mouldy too - I'm thinking I might chuck it into the washing machine and see what happens. It's not good as a dress, I don't have a daughter, it doesn't fit but the Swiss lace is gorgeous and may be able to be salvaged for something. One of my horseshoes must have acidic contents inside because the back of it is totally brown and yukky. It's stitched with lovely beads so I may keep those for future projects. I feel as if I should be more attached to these objects but realistically I'm not. I've not needed them or looked at them in the last 20 years so why keep storing them?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

se, that is momentous. Where to? How far? why?

Lori said...

I haven't seen my wedding dress in about fourteen years. I think my mum has it stored away for me...not sure for what purpose. I obviously am not terribly attached either.

I send good wishes on getting set to move.